Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Is Domino's Pizza supposed to make a carbon copy of my credit card?

I ordered a pizza online and the delivery guy asked for my card. I was confused, because I already gave all the info online. He took it, and make a carbon copy using one of those sliding-machine things that copies the card's numbers and the name on it. I don't know if this is Domino's new policy, or if it was just the delivery guy trying to steal my card's info. Should I be concerned at all, or am I just overreacting? If he wanted to check if that was the card I used, why couldn't he just look at the digits?Is Domino's Pizza supposed to make a carbon copy of my credit card?
I am a Domino's Pizza franchise owner. The policy of getting an imprint can vary from franchise to franchise. The reason we might take an imprint of your card is to have proof that the card was present since it did not get swiped directly into a computer or credit card system. This is done to protect the business in case someone gets food delivered but then disputes it with the credit card company and asks for their money back saying that they did not even buy any Domino's Pizza. In this case the Domino's could provide the receipt showing the imprint as proof that at least the card was present.



At my stores we no longer take imprints since people like you get nervous when we do. I figure that happy customers is worth more to me than an occasional fraud. I hope someday we get technology to swipe your card at the door. Of course that raises another security question since a person with a hand held swiper could actually be just using a simple device that swipes and records your card's information. This could happen too at a restaurant where you lose sight of your card while you pay. I find this unlikely in either case but I suppose it could happen.



In general the business takes a lot more risk in the whole process than the consumer. If your number does get stolen it is a hassle buy you can get all of the charges removed at no cost. If a stolen credit card gets used at my Domino's store then the card owner will dispute it and the money gets removed from my bank account along with a charge back fee that can run from $5 - $15. Plus the cost of credit card fraud that does not get pushed back directly on the merchant gets rolled back into the credit card fees that are charged to merchants for each credit card sale.



But back to your question ... it is 99.99% likely that this is the store policy and not a plan to commit any sort of fraud. You can call the store and ask for the manager in charge of the shift and confirm this. If you have ordered other times and they did not ask for an imprint they may have changed store policy or other delivery drivers may have neglected to follow the store policy. You could switch to pick up for your order and have them swipe the card at the store. You could also give feedback at www.dominos.com. The complaint should work its way to your franchise owner and maybe they will consider changing the policy to not take imprints when they realize it upsets the customers.Is Domino's Pizza supposed to make a carbon copy of my credit card?
Yes. Since they don't run your card physically through their cash register, they have to get a hard copy. This puts them in a lower fraud risk category with the credit card companies and lowers their credit card handling fees.Is Domino's Pizza supposed to make a carbon copy of my credit card?
They have done that to me before and I have never had problems with my card. If your not sure you should call them and ask them if they do that or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment